[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Mon, 10 May 2004 14:12:52 -0400

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:

> On Mon, 10 May 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Why do you think I bowed out of Linux Kernel Development back in 1995?
>> It was a quagmire back then.  Here we are a decade later and it's a
>> magnitude worse.  Besides, there is a lot of historical baggage going
>> on which I highly doubt you understand.
>
> He was doing Linux Sparc stuff in 1995; So was I. I was running AFS on my
> Linux Sparc then, including the (inode!) fileserver.

Well, then, you're welcome.  :)

> In any case, I'm not sure I know what baggage you mean.

There was a lot of history with Linus and Alan about how the AFS
module would interface with the kernel..  And the whole question of
"stable" interfaces back around the 2.0 days (like when Linus broke
binary compatibility by rearranging the members of a structure).  Back
then AFS _couldn't_ go into the kernel; it wasn't open source, and the
other Linux developers knew it.  They just haven't relearned that
times have changed.

>> As for your comment, I take it you don't consider SuSE or Debian decent
>> distros?
>
> Zing!

???

-derek