[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 11 May 2004 14:24:42 -0400

Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> <<On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:01:37 -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> said:
>
>> It had better not be.  As administrator of a machine, the GID space is
>> entirely under your control.  If you're going to run an AFS client, you
>> currently need to reserve GID's in the range 0x3F00-0xFEFF for AFS.  That
>> still leaves 16K groups for non-AFS uses, which is far more than most
>> systems will ever need.
>
> This could bite us very hard.  Our users are set up with primary gid
> == uid, and the shared UID space runs from 5000 to 32000.

See, in an AFS world you don't need to do this.  Users don't need
"primary groups", because unix groups are generally irrelevant in an
AFS world.  Just create a generally meaningless system-wide group for
your user's primary group..  Assuming you plan to be an AFS shop.

> -GAWollman

-derek