[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Tue, 11 May 2004 14:49:52 -0400 (EDT)

<<On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:24:42 -0400, Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> said:

> See, in an AFS world you don't need to do this.  Users don't need
> "primary groups", because unix groups are generally irrelevant in an
> AFS world.  Just create a generally meaningless system-wide group for
> your user's primary group..  Assuming you plan to be an AFS shop.

Unfortunately, we are a long way from an "AFS world".  In the mean
time, we still need standard Unix groups to work in the standard way
for users who use NFS resources in addition to AFS.

-GAWollman