[OpenAFS-devel] another weird afs client issue w/ cannot talk to server

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:09:29 -0400

  Are the networks congested?  Is it possible that the server's
  "WhoAreYou" is being blocked/dropped along the way?  I don't think
  I've ever seen this with stable-IP machines (although I've definitely
  seen it with machines that have been renumbered or mobile).  Albeit
  I haven't seen it in a long while.

I've seen this too, but have not been able to characterize it well enough to
file a bug report.  I can usually reproduce it in this way:

1. Put two different clients at the same IP address.
2. Run for "a while."
3. Turn one of them off.
4. Now the file server will refuse to talk to the other one.

It's possible this is only a problem with older clients that don't have
uuids, in which case I'm not going to worry about it.  But I'm not sure yet.