[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon?Workarounds?

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Wed, 12 May 2004 15:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

<<On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:13:53 -0500, "Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov> said:

>  o  The need to trap the setgroups syscall is a problem that needs to be
>    be addressed as newer kernels (Linux 2.6) will not allow this.

Not just Linux -- any reasonably modern SMP operating system is going
to have similar problems (or at least, the alternative is an
even-worse tangle of #ifdef spaghetti to manage the locking
requirements for every operating system's credential implementation).

Thankfully, most systems passing the "reasonably modern" test have
already had to implement some sort of extended credential mechanism,
where MAC labels or something else.  Some of these mechanisms may not
be sufficiently flexible to do what AFS needs, or may not be available
in the standard version of the OS.  (In FreeBSD this is no problem;
the MAC functionality comes standard and includes all of the hooks
that AFS needs; I just have to get down to writing the code.)

-GAWollman