[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon?Workarounds?

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:50:56 -0500

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:13:53 -0500, "Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov> said:
>
> >  o  The need to trap the setgroups syscall is a problem that needs to be
> >    be addressed as newer kernels (Linux 2.6) will not allow this.
>
> Not just Linux -- any reasonably modern SMP operating system is going
> to have similar problems (or at least, the alternative is an
> even-worse tangle of #ifdef spaghetti to manage the locking
> requirements for every operating system's credential implementation).
>
> Thankfully, most systems passing the "reasonably modern" test have
> already had to implement some sort of extended credential mechanism,
> where MAC labels or something else.  Some of these mechanisms may not
> be sufficiently flexible to do what AFS needs, or may not be available
> in the standard version of the OS.  (In FreeBSD this is no problem;
> the MAC functionality comes standard and includes all of the hooks
> that AFS needs; I just have to get down to writing the code.)

I agree, now what about Linux 2.6?

I gave a outline earlier today about shadowing the task_struct and
group_info, but have not got any comments back on if this would work
or not.

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
 Argonne National Laboratory