[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Re: "unable to authenticate to AFS" error- linux distribution, specific?

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:39:42 -0600

Horst Birthelmer wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason we shouldn't be using varargs now?  I can't
>> believe any
>> of our supported platforms wouldn't have it.
>

> Is there any reason for the "needlock" parameter to be the last one??
> ...other than compatibility??
>
> That's basically what Christof did ... If we change both things we might
> be a lot safer.

If you really wanted to make it safer, all the functions should have
prototypes in header files. (and have the compiler enforce it.)

This may be an compile optimazation problem. One way to test is to
compile the specific routine but add the -S option so the input  to the
assembler is created, then look at what is being optimized. I tried
this with gcc on sun4x_59 and I don't see anything wrong but on the platform
that is failinig, there may be a problem.

It could also be a problem with the *aproc routine that gets called
and passed these paramters.

To find out, someone need to pin down the line of code doing the overlay,
not just the routine in which it occured.