[OpenAFS-devel] Linux IOCTL conversion from 32 to 64-bits statically specified

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:51:17 -0400

Hi.  I was trying to get OpenAFS working on ppc64_linux26.  It's
inconvenient for me to have a 64-bit afsd or afs utilities.  I seem to
have run into somewhat of a showstopper problem.

The set of ioctls that are converted from 32-bit applications to a
64-bit kernel is statically specified in fs/compat_ioctl.c and
arch/ppc64/kernel/ioctl32.c.

This makes it sort of hard to use the /proc interface to emulate the
AFS syscall.

Even if I could get 64-bit afsd and friends easily, would I really
want to require any PAM module that wishes to set tokens to be in a
64-bit application?

I'm not really sure what possible solutions are to this issue.  Would
it be reasonable to have an interface in /proc based on the write
syscall rather than the ioctl syscall?

--Sam