[OpenAFS-devel] More on aklog

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:35:55 -0400 (EDT)

---559023410-1239554011-1097534155=:7836

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Rainer Schöpf wrote:

> A principal with a "." in its name does not work at all with Kerberos5
> tokens. This is explicitly forbidden by this snippet of code from
> rxkad/ticket5.c:
>
>    /*
>     * If the first part of the name_string contains a dot, punt since
>     * then we can't see the diffrence between the kerberos 5
>     * principals foo.root and foo/root later in the fileserver.
>     */
>    if (strchr(decr_part.cname.name_string.val[0], '.') != NULL)
> 	goto bad_ticket;
>
> I don't see why this should be a problem: name and instance are well
> separated in the fileserver code. If I use the old aklog together with
> krb524d, no such restriction exists.

Jeff Altman explained why in the RT ticket you opened; Basically, "because
it can lead to 2 principals being treated as the same one".

Until the pts suite has been modified and we are using true krb5
everywhere (or at least in the code path where such check happens) this
will not be removed.

If you want an instance, create an instance. If you want a second
principal, use some character other than . to separate the left part of
the name from the right.

---559023410-1239554011-1097534155=:7836--