[OpenAFS-devel] Are readdir() results in afs sorted?

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:53:51 +0200

Hi,
  while thinking which underlying filesystem to pickup for afs
server partition, I came across ext2/3 email thread where is
suggested to take advantage of tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/xyz
using htrees, one needs first to do readdir(), then sort the
files by inode number before trying to open or stat them.

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2003-December/msg00040.html
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2004-September/msg00025.html
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2004-September/msg00029.html
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2004-September/msg00026.html
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2004-August/msg00007.html

I'm curious if openafs would take advantage of that at all.
I don't expect one could use the preload library on server,
but still is worth of asking about it.

I have no idea if similar approach (I mean sort after readdir()) would help
also on other filesystems, like reiserfs and xfs. Any clues?
Martin