[OpenAFS-devel] email recipient whining (was What is this Packet Anyway?)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:30:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Dean Anderson wrote:

>> I'm glad you got your question answered.  But did you have to cc me and
>> a bunch of other people on the original email so that we got two copies
>> of every message? :-/
>
> Ken, I suggest you add message-id filtering to your procmail so that you
> don't get two copies of the same message.

Because everyone can personally affect the path of their mail processing.
Mm, flawed assumption.

> Message-ids were invented for the purpose of duplicate filtering.

And are known to be reused within some implementations, not "over a long
period of time", either. Sieve requires you to turn on the duplicate
suppression in Cyrus in order to work, that's the only reason anyone I
know ever noticed.

> We cc lists and posters so that they
> get messages faster than the slow list processing. If you had to wait an
> hour for each response, people wouldn't use email lists, and the rest of
> us wouldn't learn about useful conversations.

If you're waiting an hour, something sucks. It isn't the list server,
either. I'll send this at 10:30PM, EST. It will turn it around and I will
get it like a minute later. If you don't believe me, I'll be happy to send
you the headers. I am not special by virtue of anything the list server is
doing.

> I am always amazed at the smart people who want to change the good
> behavior of others instead of using the technology made available already
> to solve their problem...

I read OpenAFS lists in a shared folder which is not subscribed to under
my address. So, what technology allows me to duplicate-suppress mail which
is filed elsewhere, on another system in another domain, with that which
shows up in my personal inbox? You can tell me I'm wrong but I see no
reason to push extra bits around. There's just no point.