[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS server 1.3.80 on x86_64

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:15:38 -0400

On Friday, April 08, 2005 03:05:05 PM +0200 Ulrich Schwickerath
<Ulrich.Schwickerath@iwr.fzk.de> wrote:

> Hi, again,
>
> sorry for the long period of silence from my side, I was mostly out of
> office  this week, and only now managed to resumed working on this
> toppic. In order  to exclude basic errors or errors introduced by third
> party RPM's I started  from scratch on both a i386 and a amd64 system,
> both SMP running kernel  version, and both reinstalled from scratch. Both
> nodes are AMD Opteron nodes.  The operating system is SL303, and the
> kernel version 2.4.21-20.ELsmp. I  started with the original tar balls
> from open IB (version openafs-1.3.80),  and did a basic configuration aka
> ./configure --enable-transarc-paths
> make
> make dest
> repeating the same step on both nodes. While it works on the i386 system,
> I   reproduced the reported problem on the 64bit Opteron node, that is
> when  trying to start the client without -dynroot it gets stuck (although
> the  root.afs and root.client volumes are  there) , if using -dynroot afs
> is  mounted, but if I try to access it eg. with fs, fs itself gets stuck
> (previously I evens saw a segfault at this step but no oops in the syslog
> which I could send you). So, I think there is definitely problem for
> Opterons  on 64bit. I can live running the box with i386 system on it,
> and that is most  probably what I'm going to do now, but if there is any
> more piece of  information that I can send to you to be able to
> investigate the problem  please let me know. It would be really nice to
> find a solution for this :-)

Reading this message and your original report, I can't seem to determine
under exactly what conditions this problem is supposed to occur.  Does the
problem occur with

- amd64 clients talking to amd64 servers?
- amd64 clients talking to i386 servers?
- i386 clients talking to amd64 servers?
- Some other combination?

In each case, exactly what OpenAFS versions are the client and server?
If the fileserver crashes, does it leave a core file behind?
If so, run gdb on that fileserver binary and core file, type 'where', and
send the results.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer