[OpenAFS-devel] AFS/DFS Mount points

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:05:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> writes:
>
> > I'm not disputing the way that AFS works internally.  The point is that
> > it works wrongly.  (though I think perhaps the example refutes the point
> > that the mode is somehow special) The commands I listed are not
> > unreasonable for users (and programs) to execute.  '#' and '%' are valid
> > characters for filenames, so they are valid to have in targets for
> > symlinks. They just happen to be unusual because # and % have special
> > meanings in several shells.
>
> > If mount points were a special type of inode, then it would always work
> > correctly, since the only way to create such an inode would be through
> > the fs command.  I don't think this is big change, work-wise.
>
> Jeffrey already explained a course of action to address your problem
> that's much simpler than the one that you're proposing.  Why are you still
> talking about new inode types?

Well, it doesn't address the problem, it explains why it happens, and what
alternate sequences (if I were writing RX programs) I could use to avoid
them. I'm simply using symlink(2), through the ln shell command.

But Tom already has a patch... So I'm pretty happy, I think. Thanks Tom!

		--Dean

617 344 9000