[OpenAFS-devel] afs proc magic on Linux 2.6

John S. Bucy bucy-openafs-devel@gloop.org
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:21:33 -0400

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:37:53PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Saturday, April 23, 2005 08:55:04 PM -0400 "John S. Bucy"
> <bucy-openafs-devel@gloop.org> wrote:
>

> >The /proc/fs/openafs ioctl stuff for afs syscall doesn't work on Linux
> >2.6 if afsd isn't actually running.  This is a pain since it means you
> >can't get tokens without a client running.
>
> Any chance you could be more specific?  What versions of Linux and OpenAFS
> are you using?  Exactly what AFS syscall did you try to make, and what
> error did you get?  What program made the call, and where did the binary
> come from?

Linux 2.6.11.7 on alpha, OpenAFS 1.3.81

Trying to use a heimdal (new enough to have the /proc support) kinit
to get tokens; tokens lists none afterwards.  Its not impossible that
we screwed up and had an old something hanging around that made it not work.

> Given that afsd uses that interface to set up the cache manager, I find it
> extremely unlikely that it doesn't work before the CM setup is complete.
> However, there is no reason to expect operations other than those related
> to CM setup and fileserver support to operate under these conditions.

Specifically, I want to store a token for vos.  I asked
about this on -info a few weeks ago and moose said you only
need to have the module loaded for it to work.

john