[OpenAFS-devel] mozilla ldap

Brett L. Trotter blt@iastate.edu
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:37:24 -0500

I would much prefer to use OpenLDAP over Mozilla LDAP for a few reasons:
1) It is far more universal/supported, not to mention robust
2) Mozilla LDAP code is not nearly as well tried and tested
3) In our environment (RHEL), it is available from RHN without having to roll
our own packages, which can get ugly in a mass deployment.
4) Similar to 3, people desiring to install OpenAFS with the ptsLDAP extension
would be forced to compile mozilla ldap objects and place the binaries and
headers appropriately, there is no pre-rolled rpm sitting around.. Or someone
would have to compile the rpms/debs/whatever and make it available along with
the OpenAFS packages.

I think by far the best option would be to use OpenLDAP, which almost every
distrobution has a package for.

All that said..  #including/linking against OpenLDAP (OpenLDAP license-
similar to BSD license) is out for some reason, but I can #include/link
against Mozilla LDAP code (LGPL) as long as no code copying, paraphasing, etc
occurs?

Provided I yank the nss_ldap code sections that read /etc/ldap.conf and
rewrite them from scratch (as was the original intention anyway), as well as
convert to using Mozilla LDAP, I should be able to eventually commit the
ptsldap code to the OpenAFS tree?