[OpenAFS-devel] 1.3.86 LINUX largefile-support broken

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:13:06 -0400

In message <42EF7004.6030008@rzg.mpg.de>,Hartmut Reuter writes:
>Well, I have now after Rainer's patch been able to write and read a 5 gb
>file and it seems to work. But I am not sure that all kernel versions
>support this. Therefor 5 years ago I chose this - may be ugly or
>complicated - code to have large file support under linux which always
>worked.

its ugly and complicated and chews up stack space.
generic_file_read/write has had large file support for some time.
its not the kernel's fault that afs didnt handle shifting pp->index
properly.  its better to fix what's really broken in afs instead of
working around it.