[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to implement default tuning proposal discussed a while ago

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:07:40 -0500

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 11:53:10AM -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
> Those of you with giant client caches, I'm curious why you are doing this.
> My own working set seems to be around 50-100 MB, and that's with almost
> everything in afs (/usr/X11, /usr/local, ...).

First, email. That system I referenced ealier with the full 10G AFS
cache was an imap server that is serving 5-10 users email from maildir
format mail spools on AFS. I'd use a 40GB afs cache if it was feasable.

I like having lots of source trees in AFS. The linux kernel is 425M
unpacked. Multiply that by 4 or 5 versions I might want to diff between.
I'd also rather have users doing development keep their source trees in afs
as well.. but this means having large, *fast* client caches.

Systems don't need large caches.. users do. I'm also moving my MP3
and digital camera images into my AFS cell on my home systems. I also
want to be able to use the 20GB free on my laptop as an AFS cache.