[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to implement default tuning proposal discussed a while ago

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:05:58 -0400

In message <20050816154428.C04501BAF3@citi.umich.edu>,Jim Rees writes:
>That's not complaining, that's useful testing info.  I will venture a guess
>that a 20GB cache works better with the new autotuning than it did with the
>old defaults.

yes!  the old code asked for 3 times as much kernel memory and vmalloc
failed at some point.

>I'm inclined to commit the new code and let Niklas or others work on making
>it better for large caches later.  Comments?

i was thinking the number of files shouldnt be a linear relationship
to the cachesize simply because there is quite a bit less kernel memory
than disk.