[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to implement default tuning proposal discussed a while ago

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:46:48 -0400

In message <5517960EBB37390A9CAB189F@sirius.fac.cs.cmu.edu>,Jeffrey Hutzelman w
rites:
>experience to do their own tuning.  I'd much rather optimize for those
>cases and make people like Chas do their own tuning, if the defaults aren't
>good enough.

which is why i would favor erring on the side of caution with regard
to the number of files.  most people are just going to create a 10G
or 20G w/o thinking about the related issues.  if you really need
a 10G with 300,000 files then you should give the -files option.
when -files gets large, things tend to slow down.