[OpenAFS-devel] openafs is really faster on linux-2.4. than 2.6

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:42:46 +0200

Chas, it is the other way around. The 2.4 kernel is more efficient. It was
tested on SMP machine with HIGHMEM enabled, 2.6 kernel had PREEMPT enabled.
Am disabling now to see whether it helps 2.6 kernel to catch up with 2.4.
Also in both cases no hyperthreading was enabled.

chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> In message <4303B70B.9080707@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz>,=?windows-1252?Q?Martin_MOKREJ=8A?= writes:
>
>>2.4.31 kernel (compare with values in my previous posts today, cpu was 0% idle,
>>'cs' values were lower but the throughput was also a lot lower, stably at least
>>half, often down to 1/5 or even less):

I meant when I ran 2.6 kernel CPU was busy all the time. In contrast, when running
2.4 kernel almost never CPU was fully loaded, mostly was 30-50% loaded.

> actually, it might be good that the cpu is idle.  this means more cycles
> for you!  perhaps the 2.6 kernel is more efficient now and requires
> less cycles to get the same work done.  you might try timing how long
> configure takes to run.

Will do.