[OpenAFS-devel] "Lost contact with file server" problems

Spencer E Olson olsonse@umich.edu
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:23:17 -0400 (EDT)

(sorry if this comes twice, I forgot to subscribe with this email address)

I saw something like this earlier on the list and was wondering if anyone
(besides myself) has issues with a client losing "contact" with the afsd.

Some background:
connection is a (slow) part of our University network (on-campus housing).
afs client (1.3.87).
SuSe Linux 9.2, 2.6.8 x86_64 kernel

Too frequently, this afs client "loses contact" with the server, though every
other machine I use retains contact.

During such an outage, "fs checks" does give the expected
"These servers unavailable due to network or server problems:
afs26.ifs.umich.edu"

The mysterious part is when i look at a trace from tcpdump while running 'fs
checks', I DO see several responses from the server for every outgoing packet
from my own machine.  I'll admit that I don't know the format of the AFS
packets yet, and thus cannot really deduce how the server is responding, but I
would have expected either zero return packets, or garbage in return.

This is a multi-homed address and responses always seem to come from different
various IPs than the one my client sent the request to.

For the record, I tried this with my iptables disabled also.

Spencer

------------
Spencer Olson
Department of Physics
University of Michigan
Spencer.Olson@umich.edu
http://www.umich.edu/~olsonse/
PGP Fingerprint: A452 312C 73DC 41EF 47F3  EE73 A898 B528 BAD2 0D0F
(See www.pgp.net or pgp.mit.edu for public keys to encrypt messages for me)
tel:  734-647-9030
tel:  734-763-2544
fax:  734-764-5153

user, n.:
          The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
  	                -- Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"

[I always thought "computer professional" was the phrase hackers used
when they meant "idiot."  Ed.]