[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Need a volunteer to help with a feature summary for 1.4

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:59:03 -0400

On Friday, August 19, 2005 11:07:32 AM -0400 chas williams - CONTRACTOR
<chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> In message <20050819150253.GG16924@kalmia.hozed.org>,Troy Benjegerdes
> writes:
>> Has anyone tried submitting a patch to add an afs_syscall_register
>> hook, much like the existing nfsd hooks?
>
> yes.  it wont work.  they wont add a hook for code that isnt in the
> kernel.  further they dont like the mutiplexed afs syscall.

More to the point, it also won't solve the problem.  In order to get PAG
support using the traditional method, we need to be able to patch the
setgroups system call.  The new method requires access to parts of the
keyring API that are not yet exported in mainline kernels.

So no, if syscall table patching does not work on your architecture, then
you cannot have PAG's.  This is not a showstopper bug for OpenAFS 1.4; it
is a problem in Linux and will have to be addressed there before we can do
anything about it.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer