[OpenAFS-devel] Re: reliable crashing using -memcache

Mike Polek mike@pictage.com
24 Aug 2005 17:20:08 -0700

> allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=3D<size>
> to increase =
> size.
> afs_osi_Alloc: Can't vmalloc 16384 bytes.
> afsd:  memCache allocation failure at 58576 KB.
> afsd: memory cache too large for available memory.
> afsd: AFS files cannot be accessed.
>
> found 0 non-empty cache files (0%).
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual
> address 0000014=7

When using memcache, as far as I can tell the vmalloc
memory is memory inside the kernel and is limited to
about 128M (on Linux) without doing some sort of tuning. And I
don't think you get to use all of it. I've never
really successfully pushed my memcache beyond
-blocks 65536 (64M assuming the blocks are 1K)

Depending on the usage of the machine, I generally use

MEM="-memcache -blocks 65536 -chunksize 16 -stat 4000 -daemons 5
-volumes 256"
for lots of users (like on an ftp server)

or

MEM="-memcache -blocks 65536 -chunksize 18 -stat 2800 -daemons 3
-volumes 128"
for light usage.

Mike Polek
Pictage, Inc.