[OpenAFS-devel] Current pthread PAM patch for Debian

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:02:09 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> However, the OpenAFS PAM modules are normally built against the LWP
> versions of the libraries, not the pthread ones.  I'm not entirely sure
> what Russ's motivation is in wanting pthread versions of the PAM modules
> (maybe there's a Debian policy, or maybe they have a threaded app that
> uses PAM), but it's not currently a necessary part of an OpenAFS
> platform port.

Threaded app that uses PAM.  (sshd, in particular.)

> So, assuming you're happy using the LWP versions of the libraries, there
> is a much simpler (and, for the moment, more maintainable) solution
> available to you than what Russ is doing.  Simply arrange to have
> src/cf/osconf.m4 set CCOBJ to include the flags necessary to build PIC
> code on your platform.  See the amd64_linux* stanza as an example.

Note that this builds everything PIC; I'm not sure if you care.  My
understanding is that there's a minor performance penalty.  I'm not sure
if anything AFS does is such that you'd notice.