[OpenAFS-devel] rxkad private data eat kernel memory

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:57:20 -0500

On Thursday, December 15, 2005 04:37:19 PM +0100 Hartmut Reuter
<reuter@rzg.mpg.de> wrote:

> At least it seemed not to
> work without these 8 additional bytes.

That sure sounds like "Instead of analyzing the code to see what it was
doing, I just randomly tried things until it didn't crash".  This almost
always indicates a bug, either in the new code or in the existing code you
didn't analyze.

While the dynamic-allocation idea sounds good on the surface, I'm not
really keen on accepting a patch which likely either contains a bug or
triggers an existing one.  Let's find the real source of the problem first.

-- Jeff