[OpenAFS-devel] pod2man vandalism

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:12:36 -0800

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:

> Another reason to do this in a Makefile is that it currently rebuilds
> everything (right?) even if it doesn't have to.

One of the main points of make is exactly to not do that.  :)

The problem with doing this purely as a Makefile rule, rather than as a
similar script in the Makefile which would probably be an improvement, is
that there's no way to do this sort of mass conversion cleanly without
either listing all of the man pages again in the Makefile (an annoying
maintenance problem) or using GNU make features.  That's why I tend to use
for loops instead.