[OpenAFS-devel] pod2man vandalism

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:25:14 -0800

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Why not just have the shell script (regen?) supply the list of files on
> the command line when it calls make?  E.g.:

>   make PODFILES="`find . -name \*.pod`"

> Works great in all versions of make and doesn't depend on GnuMake.

Well, if we're going to go to the trouble of running a script anyway, why
not just do all the work in the script and save the complexity?  The only
advantage to make at that point is to only rebuild the man pages that have
changed, but rebuilding all of them doesn't take very long.

(Also, you need three separate variables, since there are three distinct
lists of man pages, one for each section.)

I'm going to split the rebuilding part out of regen.sh into a separate
script that, for right now, will still be called from regen.sh and later
will be called from some sort of make release (which I think is a better
idea long term by far).