[OpenAFS-devel] pinstall versus install-sh

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:01:23 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:

> well, makefiles would need to be rewritten to use a non-pinstall install
> and then we could just forget it existed entirely (install-sh or not,
> though I am not opposed to install-sh)

> there's probably xinstall in cvs, since i think i started working on
> killing pinstall like 3 years ago

I vote for replacing all references to pinstall with the standard
Autoconf-generated @INSTALL@ stuff (which uses the system install program
if it's capable enough and otherwise falls back on install-sh) and then
nuking it.  Note, however, that it's a bit of a project since standard
install and pinstall have different semantics when given exactly two
arguments.

I'm willing to do it, though, if people agree.  I love eliminating
duplicate and unnecessary cruft.  :)