[OpenAFS-devel] Why find do not work on afs???

Rainer Schöpf rainer.schoepf@proteosys.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:42:22 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Vitaly wrote:

 > I try to find some file on afs with command
 >
 > $pwd
 > /afs/cell1
 > $find . -name '*curses*' -print
 >
 > find finish without any error && any result

Try -noleaf.

find assumes that the link count of a directory is the number of entries
plus 2. Thís assumptions is false for AFS, as well as for many non-Unix
NFS servers (Windows servers being another example).

Personally, I find that this optimization has been rendered useless by
modern systems'performance. I regularly forget to add -noleaf and sit
there for some seconds blinking until I realize the problem.

The same goes for perl's find implementation (e.g find2perl).

 Rainer Schöpf