[OpenAFS-devel] New subcommand for pts

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:50:03 -0500

On Monday, February 14, 2005 08:02:27 PM +0100 Sven Oehme
<oehmes@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have introduced a new subcommand for pts  ..
>
> it adds and removes a user to or from a list of given groups with one
> command.
> if the user doesn't exist, he creates the user and adds him into the
> necessary groups .
>
> see some examples :
>
> localhost# pts help setgroups
>
> pts setgroups: Set a user into a fixed list of groups
>
> Usage: pts setgroups -user <user name>+ -group <group name>+ [-cell
> <cell name>] [-noauth] [-force] [-help]
> Where: -noauth  run unauthenticated
>        -force   Continue oper despite reasonable errors

This isn't really a basic operation, and given that the AFS architecture
allows users to create and manage theor own groups, I wouldn't expect it to
be a common operation, either.

It can't be done atomically, because the ptserver only provides interfaces
to add or remove a single group membership for a single user at a time.

Why does it belong in 'pts', instead of in a script?

-- Jeff