[OpenAFS-devel] performance study

John S. Bucy bucy-openafs-devel@gloop.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:56:10 -0500

AFAIK, noone has done a detailed performance evaluation of AFS in some
time.  I was thinking of doing such a thing for a class project.
Here are a few things that I've thought about looking at:

1.  RX.  How does it do on the wire?  How does it compare to modern
sunrpc+gssapi?  How does it compare to TCP for bulk-data throughput.

2.  CM.  How much overhead does the cache manager add above and beyond
the underlying filsystem?  People have mumbled that the cache has
scalability problems.  What are they?

3.  volserver.  Volume moves seem to be slow and at least the last
time I brought it up at a celladmin meeting, noone seemed to know why.
jhutz said (IIRC) that the various pieces had been tested in isolation
and were ok when tested piecewise, so apparently there's some weird
interaction in the whole system.

Are there other things that are unknown/interesting?  Thoughts?

thanks
john