[OpenAFS-devel] performance study

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:28:03 -0600

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 07:33:20PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >I was just commenting to a colleague that it would be nice to have
> >something like Tim Shepard's TCP packet trace plots for RX.  (See
> >xplot.org.)
>
> I thought of writing something like that, but since my ultimate goal is
> to write a TCP transport for RX, I decided that I didn't see much point.
> But hey, if someone else wants to write one, go for it :-)

What about an SCTP transport for RX?

It seems a lot better suited for file transfer, since it's a reliable
message-oriented transport, and you can have multiple streams controlled
by a single congestion control algorithm.

It also seems to have significantly better behavior under heavy
packet-loss conditions (see a paper I did for a class at
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Personnel/Publications/Troy/wireless-sctp/ )