[OpenAFS-devel] some requests

Sven Oehme oehmes@de.ibm.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:43:47 +0100

--=_alternative 00616481C1256FAF_=

Hi,

Dept. A153,  STG/ISC EMEA AIS Strategy and Architecture
Development Leader Stonehenge
IBM intranet ---> http://w3.ais.mainz.de.ibm.com/stonehenge/
internet ---> http://www-5.ibm.com/services/de/storage/stonehenge.html
Phone (+49)-6131-84-3151
Fax      (+49)-6131-84-6708
Mobil   (+49)-171-970-6664
E-Mail : oehmes@de.ibm.com

openafs-devel-admin@openafs.org wrote on 21/02/2005 18:02:07:

> --On Monday, February 21, 2005 09:42:38 -0500 Steve Simmons <scs@di.org>
> wrote:
>
> > # 01:
> > "extend the vos examine command with the parameters -server
> > -partition  to do a bulk vos examine for a server or for a server
> > specific partition ."
> >
> > "bulk" means here multiple volume listing (textual).
>
> 'vos listvol -long' already does this, for the most part. It doesn't
print
> the vldb information, but the vldb information isn't really interesting
> when you are listing an entire partition.
> See also the -format option if you want machine readable output.

but the VLDB output is the output i would be most interested in ..
especially if you like to export this data to use it in excel or other
tools ..

> > "an additional "flag" inside VLDB where we update a counter each time
> > file within a specific volume was updated (needed to query volumes
which
> > are worth to backup) which can be explored with vos examine and can be
> > reseted to zero with the vos setfield command (and over the api)"
> This is a reasonable idea, but is there any reason that you cannot use
the
> volume's update timestamp to decide if the volume should be backed up?
Are
> you actually trying to prioritize backups based on activity or do you
just
> want to exclude those volumes that have not been changed?

the timestamp shows only if you have done an update , but to prioritize
backups, you may skip a backup for a 10G Volume, if just 1 file changed .
an additional "feature" would be to query a changed file list with the
path started from the volume root.
this would speed up file based backup dramatically . this File Log should
be enabled/disabled with a vos setfield flag ...

Sven

--=_alternative 00616481C1256FAF_=

Dept. A153, &nbsp;STG/ISC EMEA AIS Strategy and Architecture<br>
Development Leader Stonehenge <br>
IBM intranet ---&gt; http://w3.ais.mainz.de.ibm.com/stonehenge/<br>
internet ---&gt; http://www-5.ibm.com/services/de/storage/stonehenge.html<br>
Phone (+49)-6131-84-3151<br>
Fax &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;(+49)-6131-84-6708<br>
Mobil &nbsp; (+49)-171-970-6664<br>
E-Mail : oehmes@de.ibm.com</font>
18:02:07:<br>
&gt; --On Monday, February 21, 2005 09:42:38 -0500 Steve Simmons &lt;scs@di.org&gt;<br>
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; # 01:<br>
&gt; &gt; &quot;extend the vos examine command with the parameters -server<br>
&gt; &gt; -partition &nbsp;to do a bulk vos examine for a server or for
a server<br>
&gt; &gt; specific partition .&quot;<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &quot;bulk&quot; means here multiple volume listing (textual).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 'vos listvol -long' already does this, for the most part. It doesn't
print<br>
&gt; the vldb information, but the vldb information isn't really interesting<br>
&gt; when you are listing an entire partition.<br>
&gt; See also the -format option if you want machine readable output.<br>
</tt></font>
interested in .. especially if you like to export this data to use it in
excel or other tools ..</tt></font>
&gt; &gt;#02<br>
&gt; &gt; &quot;an additional &quot;flag&quot; inside VLDB where we update
a counter each time a<br>
&gt; &gt; file within a specific volume was updated (needed to query volumes
which<br>
&gt; &gt; are worth to backup) which can be explored with vos examine and
can be<br>
&gt; &gt; reseted to zero with the vos setfield command (and over the api)&quot;<br>
&gt; This is a reasonable idea, but is there any reason that you cannot
use the<br>
&gt; volume's update timestamp to decide if the volume should be backed
up? Are<br>
&gt; you actually trying to prioritize backups based on activity or do
you just<br>
&gt; want to exclude those volumes that have not been changed?<br>
&gt; <br>
</tt></font>
, but to prioritize backups, you may skip a backup for a 10G Volume, if
just 1 file changed .</tt></font>
a changed file list with the path started from the volume root.</tt></font>
. this File Log should be enabled/disabled with a vos setfield flag ...</tt></font>
--=_alternative 00616481C1256FAF_=--