[OpenAFS-devel] [Win] Status of remote logins

Franco "Sensei" Sensei <senseiwa@tin.it>
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:28:25 -0600

--------------enig61010201A8AA65D35B43673D

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Do you think I am hiding one?

Of course not! It was a way of asking politely if you knew how to do so
:) You always answer, so don't think I meant anything that way.

> You can point the profile to \\AFS\cellname\path.  The way you do this
> is to place an entry in the account database indicating where the
> profile directory is located.  For this you either need to manage local
> accounts or have an Active Directory replacement.

That's my point. Is anyone thinking about avoiding all the non-necessary
infrastructures like AD. Using local accounts is crazy, you have to
manage directly each client and that's not good or even feasable.

The integrated login of afs with k5 should probably be extended with a
unix like approach to remote profiles, without managing other servers.
AD adds another layer.

Is worth it? I mean, I'd like to see something like that, I don't know
if the afs administrators would be happy having this facility. I really
do think so, since it would avoid many other implications (x-trust, ad's
ldap, ad's accounts, passwords in both worlds...).

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@tin.it> <pgp:8998A2DB>
        <icqnum:241572242>