[OpenAFS-devel] Re: openafs / opendfs collaboration

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:53:36 -0500

Kyle Moffett wrote:

> The keyring stuff essentially allows you to associate arbitrary BLOBs
> with processes via a simple kernel interface.  OpenAFS could store
> the credentials in a session keyring and all processes in that
> session would have access to the credentials.  Then OpenAFS could
> just run a key search for the credentials when it needs to perform
> operations (Such as passing them to the server) with them.  It's very
> fast, simple, and well designed

This is encouraging. How closely do the semantics of "session keyring
and all processes in that session" match those of PAGs?  (Group
membership inheritance across fork/exec seems pretty clear; sessions
have always seemed a little fuzzy to me.)
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  / I fired my masseuse today. She just rubbed me the wrong way. /