[OpenAFS-devel] openafs / opendfs collaboration

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl@lkcl.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:49:19 +0000

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:28:03AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:00:59AM -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> > >Secondly, I know this is a rather drastic proposal, but is it time to
> > >consider splitting the cache manager out of individual filesystem clients?
> > It seems like Arla would probably have a better model for us all to follow
> > if we did so.
>
> Or on Linux, something based on FUSE, which is apparently now getting
> merged.

 i played with fuse and it does some rather croo-joze inode cacheing
 inside the kernel, and maintains a mapping of the inodes on your behalf
 so that the userspace program doesn't have to worry about inodes.

 lufs on the other hand gleefully lets _you_ manage the inodes in
 userspace *cheerful* which of course if you get _wrong_...

 anyway...

 l.