[OpenAFS-devel] Re: openafs / opendfs collaboration

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:22:38 -0500

On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 20:17:59 -0500 Kyle Moffett
<mrmacman_g4@mac.com> wrote:

> Ok, so the requirements are:
> 	1)	Shared between multiple processes with sane inheritance
> 	2)	Store a pointer to arbitrary arch-independent data structures
> 	3)	A unique globally-useable ID to locate a particular combination
> 		of credentials, connection data, caches, etc.

Correct.

> As I see it, the keyring system can very simply be dropped in place of
> the existing setgroups hooks.  You can implement your own key_type
> data structure (struct key_type afs_pag_key_type;) that contains a
> pointer to an arch-independent AFS structure containing connections,
> caches, etc.  Then instead of a "PAG" id, you would use a "key" id,
> except you would need to check if the key is of afs_pag_key_type first.

By "key id", you mean the key's serial number?
Are these ever reused?

> one thing the keyring system _doesn't_ provide is a list of processes
> that have a certain keyring, primarily because that slows the system
> down considerably and chews up a lot more RAM. :-D

We don't have that either, for similar reasons.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer