[OpenAFS-devel] unencumbered ptserver replacement almost complete

Brett Trotter blt@eng.iastate.edu
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:23:33 -0600 (CST)

On Ted's recommendation, I'm passing this on to the list. Thanks in advan=
ce!

I was originally working on some code from Volker Lendecke of the Samba=20
project that was called ptproxy, a ptserver replacement that works with=20
winbind. It became license encumbered due to IBM vs GNU incompatibility.
I've  been working on a version that has zero samba code and relies on
unix  passwd/group calls (no windows equivalent, yet) and thusly, nsswitc=
in order  to connect up to whatever service. I call it ptlocal. It is 100=
%
IBM licensed  code (OpenAFS code plus my personal modifications). Ptlocal
allows people  with services like NIS, hesiod, ldap, etc to not maintain =
separate  users/groups database.

Currently its working well with one exception, and I need a little inside=
 help. I can set flags such that vos will let me create volumes if i'm in
the  system:administrators group equivalent, but fs will not let me
traverse or  setacl's on parts of the filesystem that dont have acl's for
my user despite  me being a member of the admin group. What flag do I nee=
to set in  listElements or GetCPS, or is it somewhere else?

I'd like to give this project to the community, if there is interest. I'm
new  to AFS code, so it's not as pretty/efficient as it could be, but it'=
a start  and it at least works.

Anything you could tell me would be great. Thanks!

-Brett Trotter