[OpenAFS-devel] ptlocal

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:55:26 +0100

On Jan 31, 2005, at 9:05 PM, Brett Trotter wrote:

> it looks like my problem with ptlocal was actually not negating the
> groupIDs in getCPS, but the response I got made me take another look at
> the code and I saw it this time and I also better understand what
> getCPS
> actually does, so thanks!
>
> we've been talking here on campus about trying to make ptlocal/ptserver
> multithreaded, is this impossible due to ubik? Can it be done?

What do you get from a multithreaded ptserver anyway??
I saw some code done for a multithreaded proxy to AD. So, I'm sure it
is possible.

The main problem still remains. You're running a "proxy" which means
your response time will rise.
So your fileserver gets slower, your whole system will get slower and I
still can't see how more threads are going to be faster when the
response time of one call will increase.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that's a bad idea. I'm just trying
to warn you. More threads aren't always better for performance.

Horst