[OpenAFS-devel] Minimum autoconf version

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:50:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Tim Spriggs wrote:

> So essentially it is not valid to have usernames with dots in them?

Yup.

> While we are mapping / to ., maybe we could map . to something else to
> extend the ugliness? Or make things really confusing and map . to / and /
> to .?

I'm not going to unilaterally decide that. We should argue about it.

> What was the motivation for this mapping in the first place?

. was the instance separator in krb4 and hence afs. / is the instance
separator in krb5. since basically all we're doing is mapping krb5
principals into the krb4 world (pts was not changed) and migrating
generally means krb4 user.admin *is* krb5 user/admin, mapping means things
continue to work as they did before for the same user when you switch to
krb5.

not mapping would have sucked for anyone migrating.