[OpenAFS-devel] Performance problem with 1.3.84 on linux with 2.4.31 kernel

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:27:38 +0200

Hi,
  although there are problems with kdump build on linux, the rest of openafs builds and
openafs runs on the machine. When copying "my favourite" 17GB large file with 1GB diskcache
I see a lot better throughput compared to 2.6.12-rc6-git2 kernel (where all cpu is time
is used by afsd and throughpuit is about 10k blocks per second OR about 4k blocks per second
with small memcache). On 2.4.31 kernel I see mostly 60-80% cpu is idle, I see up to 55k blocks
per second throughput ... BUT temporary system lockups lasting several seconds.
The machine is ordinary Intel P4 machine with 3GB RAM, SATA disks and ICH5R chipset.
Well, for me this 1.3.84/2.4.31 setup is unusable for me at the moment but it looks
it would be a lot better choice compared to 2.6 kernel. No messages in syslog files.
Cache and /vicepa are ext2.
Martin