[OpenAFS-devel] i386_xenlinux26?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:04:15 -0400

On Thursday, June 16, 2005 09:24:37 PM -0400 "John S. Bucy"
<bucy-openafs-devel@gloop.org> wrote:

> [moderator: please ignore the other copy that I sent from the wrong addr]
>
> openafs seems to need some extra support for xen/linux
> kernels.  See this thread on xen-devel:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-03/msg00071.html
>
> I got as far as making up a sysname (i386_xenlinux26) and copying the
> configs.  I apparently missed something; the build finishes without
> error but it never even creates MODLOAD-, etc.

Despite Kris's comments, from what I've read so far I'm not convinced that
a separate sysname is necessary.  If it does, then what's required is
rather more than copying a couple of header files.  There are quite a few
things that need to be modified appropriately to deal with a new sysname.
If it turns out you need to go down this route, probably you should discuss
things like sysname selection with people who are familiar with what's
going on, as the sysname to be used will depend in part on which of various
existing patterns should match your new platform.

First, however, you should not make the same mistake as the people on
xen-devel, namely, trying to build openafs-1.2.x against a funny
architecture and then claiming its makefiles are broken.  Start with
building the CVS head against your 2.6-based xen, and see what problems you
have with that, if any.

-- Jeff