[OpenAFS-devel] fileserver parameters

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:45:36 -0400

>All of this is rather theoretical, and I only have a little bit of
>code thus far.  I hope to find the time to make some of these changes
>happen, but these are ambitious suggestions.  I can't promise
>anything, unless other people with lots of time volunteer... ;)
>Comments?  Criticisms?  Volunteers?

My boss has tasked me with improving AFS performance as well, but I've
taken a completely different direction.  Specifically, I've been working
on a TCP transport for Rx.  We're specifically interested in using AFS
on long-haul networks, and my thinking was that instead of investing all
of the time in fixing up the Rx protocol, why not leverage all of the
work that's been done on TCP performance in the last decade?

So far I have a rough implementation working.  It's performance is
good, but it's not ready to use by AFS applications just yet.  Clearly
working out all of the thread interactions is WAY more complicated
than I thought it would be, and you've clearly thought more about
this than I have.  It sounds to me like we should try to coordinate
our work, and have both people's work proceed simultaneously.

--Ken