[OpenAFS-devel] fileserver parameters

Roland Kuhn rkuhn@e18.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:35:44 +0200

--Apple-Mail-14--766576247

Hi Niklas!

On Jun 20, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Niklas.Edmundsson@hpc2n.umu.se wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Tom Keiser wrote:
>

>>> So, can anybody comment on these numbers? Those are dual Opteron
>>> boxes with enough RAM, so please make some suggestions what
>>> options I
>>> should try to get more like the real performance of a fileserver...
>>>

> What kernel? What underlying filesystem?

vanilla 2.4.31, reiserfs.

> The performance figures you mentioned when talking directly to the
> raid, are they when doing IO on a filesystem that are similar to
> the AFS IO pattern (ie accessing a large number of small files)?
> Streaming IO figures are more or less uninteresting when doing AFS
> in our experience.

I haven't had a look yet, but I thought the files were stored also as
files in /vicep*? Our files are 1.5GB each, so streaming reads should
be what we need, right?

On the other hand I did the read benchmark (dd) with only one
process, and the rate went down from 230MB/s to 200MB/s when going
through the filesystem instead of reading directly from the block
device.

> If using ext*, go for ext2 and boot the machine with SMP disabled
> and se what happens. This improved the situation somewhat for us,
> but this was on a 2.4 kernel tho (albeit 2.6 is said to still have
> issues wrt ext3 and SMP).

Disabling SMP is not an option, I'll have to see where tuning the
parameters and/or upgrading to 1.3.84 gets me.

> Filesystem-wise, xfs seems to be the best performing (and most
> robust) filesystem on Linux nowadays, but I don't know whether it's
> supported to have your /vice* on Linux-XFS...

I could try that one, too.

Thanks for your suggestions,
                     Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str. 85747 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12592; Telefax 089/289-12570

--Apple-Mail-14--766576247
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-14--766576247--