[OpenAFS-devel] Re: shlib on s390x

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:33:05 -0400

On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 01:25:27 PM +0200 Peter Somogyi
<psomogyi@gamax.hu> wrote:

> Possible solutions I can imagine:
> #1 modify src/config/osconf.m4 to include -fPIC in XCFLAGS (has a global
>    effect)
> #2 when "make jafs", it would copy recursively entire openafs source into
>    a temp folder, modify osconf.m4 there, and compile libjafs*so there
> #3 create a separate OpenAFS API which is -fPIC (its name would be
>    something like "shlibadmin")

Personally, I'm all for building all of our objects with -fPIC on all Linux
platforms.  Unfortunately, I seem to recall this might cause problems for
Debian, which IIRC has a policy prohibiting PIC in archive libraries.

I'm also all for cleaning up the OpenAFS library situation, to get away
from the unnecessary and inappropriate conflating of LWP-vs-pthreads,
archive-vs-shared, and lots of small libraries vs a few monolithic ones.
These are independent dimensions, completely orthogonal to each other, and
there is no reason why a choice made along one of those axes should force
the selection of a particular choice along another.

-- Jeff