[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris10x86 & OpenAFS 1.3.81 thru 1.3.84

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:21:41 -0500

Robert Banz <banz@umbc.edu> wrote:

> It's a client-only, it's heavily utilized as a POP/IMAP server.  (we'd
> like to move all of our machines in this "cluster" to sx86 from linux,
> because, with the exeption of this unexplained problem, they perform
> so much better...)
>
> -stat 8000 -daemons 6 -volumes 4096 -files 50000 -nosettime
>
> It's using a ufs-based cache.  I've tried it both in a logging and
> nologging mode, and still get the same problem.

How big of a disk cache?

Can you try -memcache to eliminate the disk cache as the problem?  (Of
course, memcache might cause different problems...)

Also, what POP/IMAP server software are you running?  Are you keeping
mail stored in AFS?  I'd like to do the same and I can get a machine up
with a similar config and see if I can replicate this problem.

Not sure if it matters, but do you have fs setcrypt on for this server
or is encryption turned off?

And, I assume that knowing what the hardware is will help further
isolate the problem.

<<CDC