[OpenAFS-devel] fileserver profiling

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:01:42 -0600

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:40:48PM -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2005, at 22:20, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> >I'm kinda stumped as to why I can get 50MB/sec via NFS to the /vicepa
> >partition, but through AFS, I'm only getting about 5. (I've tried both
> >openafs and the 2.6.11 in-kernel AFS).
>
> One other thing to think about, OpenAFS does data encryption, so if your
> server is already CPU-bound for some reason, that will only make it
> worse.
>
> Cheers,
> Kyle Moffett

I'm not using data encryption.. (fs getcrypt reports 'clear').

CPU utilization is around 5% utilization on the server.

I just switched to a 100mb cache, (previously it was 1GB), and ran afsd
with "afsd -memcache -chunksize 16", and now I'm getting a better, but
not optimal throughput of around 25MB/sec.

(Out of curiosity, what cache sizes do people generally run at?)