[OpenAFS-devel] Progress on Linux in-kernel RxRPC library

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:14:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Kyle Moffett wrote:

> As far as OpenAFS would be concerned under the new 2.6 kernel RxRPC,
> the Kerberos implementation used only matters in one program, aklog.

Today. The point was at some point Heimdal and/or MIT will get cred cache
in keyring support.

> The major advantage to integrating with the kernel RxRPC and keyring
> layers is that it would eliminate the need for PAGs.  The RxRPC layer

Except you're ignoring the part where I asserted you don't need RxRPC to
use keyrings and hence can get rid of the PAGs without it. So either tell
me I'm wrong and why, or answer the question I asked.

> The biggest problem that is likely to arise with OpenAFS is that the
> code-base basically lacks the abstraction to make this easy to patch
> in.

Not really. It's trivial to ignore the groups-encoded-PAGs mechanism.

> Ideally the system would compile in the PAG/connection/RxRPC
> code when being compiled for an older kernel, and leave it out with
> hooks to the in-kernel one otherwise, but I suspect that the "hooks"
> necessary don't really exist in the current code.

So you described more complexity. Ok. Want to tell me what the *benefits*
are now? ;-)

-D