[OpenAFS-devel] configure not honoring 'CC' environment variable

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:57:48 -0500

On Sunday, March 20, 2005 09:34:53 AM -0600 Troy Benjegerdes
<hozer@hozed.org> wrote:

>> > This issue would be a lot easier to sort out if the kernel and userland
>> > code were clearly separated. Or at least the build process. Is there
>> > documentation or whitepapers that I can look up at what afsd actually
>> > does before handing off control to libafs in the kernel? I'm wondering
>> > why both afsd and libafs are so big.
>>
>> You can read src/afsd/afsd.c; it's actually a fairly simple program.
>> I'm  not sure why you believe afsd is 'big'; mine is all of 168K.
>
> libafs is by far the biggest kernel module I have loaded..
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> nfsd                  258944  9
> libafs                606052  2
> ipv6                  282752  18
> nfs                   220272  2
> lockd                  70768  3 nfsd,nfs
> sunrpc                162232  16 nfsd,nfs,lockd
> unix                   32936  20
>
> that plus another 160k from afsd plus whatever glibc dragged in..

... is nonsensical.  You can't compare the size of a module with the size
of a user-mode process; that's like trying to add apples and lawnmowers.

The 160k of afsd is demand-paged text, and so is "whatever glibc dragged
in".  It doesn't occupy any swap, EVER, and doesn't even occupy RAM unless
it's actually running (or ran recently and hasn't been paged out) - which,
for afsd, is very rarely once startup is complete.

Yes, libafs is pretty big.  AFS has a fairly large feature set, and that
one module contains the complete client implementation, including
components that for NFS are split across several modules.  Really, it's not
that out of line when you compare it to the combined size of nfs, lockd,
and sunrpc, and bear in mind the components that NFS does not have, like
cache management.

FWIW, libafs is _not_ the largest module on my system.  That honor goes to
the nvidia driver, which weighs in at just over 4MB.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer