[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Chaskiel Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Sat, 7 May 2005 00:34:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Matthew Miller wrote:

>  however, I think it'd be *beter* if the
> message weren't "libafs: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel", which
> can look kind of scary. So, this makes it be "libafs: module license 'IBM
> Public License Version 1.0' taints kernel" instead, which is at least more
[...]
My objection to doing this is that while it will help some users, it also
in sense legitimizes the whole license checking scheme, and I'd rather we
didn't help do that.

If we had a non-flamey FAQ describing the issue, then putting a URL to it
in the license field instead would make me happier. I'm not volunteering to
provide such a thing, however.